Tuesday, April 8, 2014

CSM Campaign: Spaceship Politicians

When I was a kid, I wanted to grow up to be a tough, capable space bounty hunter like Faye Valentine or Twilight Suzuka.

... ... OK, I really wanted to be a wizardess, but space bounty hunter was a close second.  Even today, I see myself as being far closer to a Kara Thrace than a Laura Roslin.  I try to be a direct, down-to earth kind of girl rather than a carefully worded diplomat.  So why am I running for CSM?

For the readers who are not as familiar with the Council of Stellar Management, it is a group of fourteen players from across the spectrum of the Eve community.  They serve as a focus group for CCP to bounce ideas off of, and sign a Non Disclosure Agreement, so that CCP can feel free to discuss whatever they want with the CSM without worrying about spoiling upcoming expansions or inciting a mob riot based on rumors.  In order to make sure that a diverse group of players is chosen, capable of representing multiple play styles and focus areas within Eve, CCP holds elections and everyone with an active account is allowed to vote for the candidate or candidates that they feel best represents the way they play Eve or that holds a view point on certain topics that they want to advance.

I have been following the metagame (things like podcasts, forums, blogs and the like - information and interactions related to Eve but not taking place strictly inside of the game) since I started playing Eve, and had been following CSM8 and the upcoming elections for CSM9 with a great deal of interest.  There were quite a few people from the wormhole community who were complaining about a lack of candidates for the CSM9 cycle, and both of the candidates who did look to be serious about running were from major, established alliances from C5/C6 space.  I had only the briefest familiarity with them, and although they seemed decent enough I didn't think they would really represent my views and my corporation - we are a smaller corp, and pretty new to our C5 home.  Being a newer player myself, I felt that I had a better idea of the interests and challenges facing new players, and specifically new players trying to get into wormhole space.  There were not enough candidates, and there weren't any from my end of the wormhole spectrum.

That is why I decided to run for CSM.  When I see a problem and think I can handle it, I will take it on and just like in Eve, I am not afraid to take on a challenging fight.

"Fair enough, Karen.  So tell me about yourself, and those viewpoints you mentioned.  Why should I vote for you?"

At the most fundamental level, I am a wormholer.  You should vote for me if you want someone on the CSM who is passionate about w-space and the wormhole meta.  I live in a system in wormhole space, I shoot anyone I can catch who isn't part of my alliance and enjoy roaming in a small gang.  I love the ever-shifting space jungle that is w-space: the hunt itself, the stalking and spying and sneaking around, is worth far more to me than the killmail you get for a job well done.  I enjoy getting a new system, a new chain, a new set of terrain to consider several times a day without having to redeploy my ships to new bases.  I do regular PvE activities like site running, data and relic exploration, and mining and gas harvesting in order to pay for all of the expensive ships I lose.  I have over a billion isk worth of ships scattered around between high sec and our various starbases, and I only have one alt that flies a tengu.  My wallet is thin, but that is because I get to buy all the pretty ships - and if I lose a couple Asteros or a Vigilant, I might grumble a bit but I end up going back and making more money so I can replace it and lose it again.  If this playstyle and this viewpoint matches yours, or compliments it, or you think it would be valuable to have someone like that on the CSM, then you should vote for me.

My home system regularly ends up connecting to null sec and low sec as well as the intermittent high sec connections, and I have no problems harassing the residents or taking advantage of those sectors of space as well.  I have an industrialist alt and am one of the managers for our corporation's industrial POS, and have more than a few PI alts up and running.  I have flown in faction warfare, plexed and hunted plexers, and I have a battleship fitted up and siting in a station in high sec for incursions, if I get in the mood.  I also have a couple of throw away gank taloses.  If you want a CSM candidate with broad exposure to Eve, then you should vote for me.

Personally, my primary strengths lie in building relationships and communicating with others, and my enthusiasm for and willingness to take ownership of challenges.  I have an easy time empathizing with other people and enjoy getting to know the thoughts and concerns of other players.  I love working with a team and measure my success by what goals the team accomplishes and how smoothly, instead of what achievements I can stick my name on.  However, I am still a very persistent lady, and if I feel that something must be done or a point needs to be made I make sure it happens.  When I accept a project, position, or responsibility, I own it and I do everything I can to ensure the best result.  This is also why I spend so much time looking into concepts and mechanics in Eve that I am not personally familiar with - I have a need to know what I am or might be dealing with.  If that sounds like the kind of person you want on the CSM, then you should vote for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment