Thursday, April 24, 2014

New Projects

I have had ... numerous ideas for new projects pestering me lately, begging to be put into action now that the CSM campaign is over and things have settled into their latest groove.  There is certainly something major being worked out this week, but the number two project is what I want to talk about today: Industry.

I have devoted many hours over the last half a year to building and managing my PI empire, and I am pretty happy with where I am at the moment; between the nanite paste production and the other byproducts that I ship out and sell, I clear about a billion isk a month - small potatoes compared to major market movers and full time industrialists, but I feel very proud that I can say that as someone who has only been playing Eve for half a year.

I have been managing our corp's industrial tower in our C5, as well, running the polymer reaction array, and sorting through blueprints to see if there is anything we have on hand worth making; the down side, however, has been that... well, we are a pretty small corporation.  The alliance has nowhere near enough demand for things to justify running a POS full time, and the logistical obstacals inherent in living in a C5 wormhole with a C4 static likewise makes manufacturing for export a highly problematic endeavor, at least on a scale that I could run and manage with my current assets.  (Look at me, breaking out the economics lexicon!  Heee~)  If I were like Proclus, and cornering the capital weapons market in a major trade hub, I'd have enough volume and enough profit to justify it.  With the meager level I am working at now... ehn.

This is why I have decided I need to scrape a couple of my alts together and make establish and industrial outpost somewhere in k-space (:boo: :hiss:, I agree, w-space is best space, but there are reasons!).  I have also decided that the bulk of my new operation will take place in high sec, despite the pending industrial revamp eliciting cries of a falling sky from much of the community.

First, there is no way in hell that I would rent space in Sov Null.  Never.  Ever.  Even with an alt corp.

Second, NPC Null and Low Sec are just too... labor intensive for me to make a major industrial investment in without having a solid corp presence backing me.  Much like in w-space, territory in NPC null and in low sec is secured through force of arms and an active corp presence.  If I were part of a low sec alliance, I would feel safe enough shipping in large quantities of materials or making a base of operations out of an NPC station, but not with just a couple of alts.

So, that leaves high sec, and it's where I'm going to set up... on the eve of an incoming nerf and rebalancing to high sec industry.  #yolo

Of course, I am not going to move *everything* to high sec.  I'll maintain most of my PI in w-space, but retool my alt's planetary production lines to require semiweekly maintenance instead of daily with more infrequent pick ups, and finish PI training on a couple of other alts to pick up the difference.  I am also going to keep a few things running in a POS, things I want to baby sit and keep a close eye on, or items that just make more sense to manufacture out of a POS instead of a station.  And, of course, when we get the rest of the details on the industry revamp things may need to change again.

I've also been doing a lot of hangar cleaning; last week I was feeling horribly, incredibly space-poor with only a couple hundred isk to my name.  Then I remembered that I had a Megathron Navy Issue in a station in high sec gathering dust, and a few faction frigates - both navy and pirate - scattered around high sec that I wasn't using.  So, I've been flying all over New Eden, collecting my spare ships, mods, and whatnot in a central location, then going through and deciding what I actually wanted to keep and what could go.  This has given me a surprising pile of funds to work with, and since I don't like just sitting on money, asking "What can I do to put this isk to work for me?" is what led to my musings on an industry outpost.  And/or helping out with or establishing a trade hub.  We'll see!! :D

o7

No comments:

Post a Comment