Monday, March 10, 2014

Daredevil? Whoops, what Daredevil?

So this was a busy weekend, with multiple deaths on my part and only one (sort of) kill!  Still, I had a lot of fun, and I accomplished one of my major life goals in Eve.

Saturday overall was a pretty nice day; I sat in on the CSM Townhall Meeting, where we had five of the current CSMs drop in, as well as CCP Fozzie.  I was even solicited for my input at one point, which really made my day; although I know that everyone else out there in w-space is out to kill me, I love the community and I want to contribute and help things improve.  Bronya Boga has a recording of the meeting up on DTP's site: http://downthepipe-wh.com/csm-wh-townhall-meeting/

While chatting with some of the guys in the weird post-meeting-but-it's-not-actually-over section, I was also convinced that I need to run for CSM9.  I will get another post up about that one later, for now you should go bump my thread on the eve-o forums. :)

The static in my C5 was EoNL, so I put up my CSM forum post and did some more gladhanding on various w-space com channels, then went off to dinner.  When I got back, we had a short new chain that a corp member had just scanned down before he logged for the night.  It didn't look too promising: a C4>5 leading to a C5>6, with a k162 in C5a from a C5>5.  The C6 had been left alone, since it was full of active pilots.

Still, it was something, and I'm not the kind of girl that will sit around in her POS doing her nails until a guy shows up.  I shipped my alt up into my Buzzard and headed down chain to see what I could find to play with in that C6, or maybe just slip past the guys into whatever static they might have - I had a Ferox and a Stratios both stranded in high sec that I needed to get back into the C5, and the Ferox was probably too slow to sneak in but the Stratios could do it.

I jumped into the C6, made sure the hole was bookmarked behind me, turned on my cloak, and warped off to get a look at things.  Enroute, I was checking d-scan... no kidding, ships and towers everywhere.  I pulled up wormhol.es, and OMGWTF, C6>2 probably occupied by The Honeybadgers.  Bob had truly given me his blessings that day.

For those of you who do not listen to Down The Pipe, YOU ARE HORRIBLE PEOPLE AND SHOULD SELF DESTRUCT YOUR PODS.  I mean.  It is a great wormhole podcast, hosted by Bronya Boga and Longinus Spear.  Until recently, they were both members of Semper Ubi Sub Ubi, a PvP wormhole corp, with an open challenge: come find us, fight in our hole, kill or be killed.  Ever since I started listening to them, I had wanted to go shoot them.  In a friendly manner, of course!

[Insert picture here: woman in a Victorian-era dress, talking to a man in a tophat and a monocole.  Caption: "Excuse me, my dear gentleman!  I happen to be in possession of some find navy antimatter charges that, sadly, need a new home.  Would you be a darling and volunteer your ship's armor?  Oh!  Splendid!  Pew pew!"]

Anyway, SUSU has since closed down, with many of the players moving in with The Honeybadgers... and here they were, on my chain and in front of my guns at last.  While my alt began working d-scan to see if I could find any decent targets, I took an inventory of my ships at the POS and immediately regretted it.  My Stratios was out in high sec, so no cloaky gank.  The Ferox would have been my second choice, but that was out as well.  I didn't have the cash on hand to replace the daredevil (since I knew that, even if I succeeded at my gank, I would keep fighting until they blew me up).  That left me with the only other ship I had... a Tristan.  Sorry, Badgers. :/  I hopped in, checked my fit and my ammo, and moved out.

Back in the C6, I had found a pair of hulks that were not at a POS.  A pair of hulks, accompanied with cargo containers.  I was surprised - jetcan mining, in an open hole?  I noted the sig, jumped my Tristan into the system, and pounced.

And landed a good 110 KM away from the hulks.  Whoops. -.-  So I bookmarked a can, warped off, then warped back, thinking they had to have people on the way by now to blow me up.  I landed on grid with the Hulks right at optimal range, locked one up, scrammed and webbed it, overheated my blasters and launched the drones, kicked on the afterburner... and facedesked.  I know I am a pretty crappy pilot in a lame T1 frigate, but holy crap those Hulks have a bunch of shields, at least compared to the amount of damage I could do.  I thought I might run out of ammo before I chewed through those shields... and then the hulks' drones began locking me.  And firing.  And my poor frigate almost melted before I could get the AAR up and cycling and warp off.

If either Hulk would have had a point on it, they would have killed me.  How bad is that?  I jetted around a bit, repped up my armor and the overheat damage on my mods, and watched.  The Hulks took off, and came back in a pair of Masimos ore haulers.  I *knew* those ones had less of a tank, so I warped back to the can bookmark, locked one up, and cackled gleefully as I began gnawing on it.

Then a vagabond landed on grid. >.>  I went for it, and then I exploded.  I was still cackling though as I warped my pod back home.  <3

Sunday morning/afternoon, we had a low sec hole open up into our C5, and shortly afterwards we spotted a Proteus sneaking in and out.  They were from another wormhole corp, and we quickly mobilized to try and catch them if they came back in.  I took my Daredevil to our static C4 (along with some fighters from the CEO's carrier) to watch it there, while the CEO parked his Saber at the LS hole, along with another corp member in a frigate and another flight of fighters.  We chilled out, then, watching d-scan and waiting to see what else might come in.  After a couple of minutes comes the announcement "I have a Curse in my bubble."

I warp off to the LS, ready to tag it with the fighters, and promptly land in Nate's bubble.  Without any fighters.  I am sure that, at this point, the Curse pilot was wondering what the hell we were doing; it didn't take long for all three of us to be entirely neuted out, and since I was in Nate's bubble I couldn't warp myself back out.  Whoops.  His drones made short work of my Daredevil and the other corpmate's Tristan, Nate jumped out to LS to get a little cap back, then came back in; I warped back to the POS and grabbed the heavy tackle drake I had brought in, while another corp member warped to the LS hole with a pair of Caracals.  We landed on grid, I got the Curse pointed and webbed, and started killing his drones with mine.

At that point, though, the Proteus showed back up.  With a pair of Lokis.  And the Curse had just finished off our Saber.  We decided that Drake/Caracal/Caracal was no match for Curse/Loki/Loki/Proteus and left the field.  Shots were fired, things blew up, and it was a Learning Experience.

And, finally, the kill!  It was late night Sunday, after midnight.  Definitely time that I should have been asleep.  I couldn't quite call it a night though, and was putzing about with community stuff and working on my PI.  Talene had been scouting down chain before he logged for the night, and told us he spotted a Cyclone and a Drake in a C2 running sites; still, he was going to bed, and that left just me and one other corp guy logged in.  I still had my tackle drake, but a drake v drake fight sounded anything BUT exciting; Tak had a cloaky loki, but even with that we didn't think it sounded fun.

He went down there to watch the hole, though; we had a pilot in a pod coming in, and he wanted to make sure it didn't get jumped.  I came down as well, to watch the hole out of the C2 back into the rest of the chain; while we were sitting there chilling out, the drake and the cyclone kept running sites and eventually a Heron showed up on d-scan as well.

Now, for those of you who are not as familiar with the way w-space and wormholes work, d-scan is really the only tool that will tell you when someone else is in system with you.  There is no local, no alarm, just your scanner and what you can see.  When you have open holes in your system (both of the C2's statics in this case, a low sec and a C4) *anyone* can come into your system and sit there and watch you do stuff.  And, you can see them come in through the system if you are on top of things - even a loki or a buzzard will be visible for a few seconds after they drop the jump cloak and before they can activate their own covops module.  Plus, you know, seeing a capsule *fly across the system* should tip you off that, hey, there's activity that isn't our corp.  We should watch out for stuff.

But, no.  The drake and cyclone kept blowing things up, and now that our capsule pilot was safe, we went to find the heron.  It was following along behind the two battlecruisers.  Salvaging.

I quickly grabbed a Condor I had picked up (and, earlier, FLOWN THROUGH THEIR SYSTEM UNCLOAKED) and sat on our side of the C4 hole, while Tak and my buzzard alt watched the drake nad cyclone finishing up another site.  The heron warped to it, and began salvaging.  The drake warped off.  I jumped the gun, dropping my condor into their system.  Whoops. >.>  I held cloak as long as I could, then sat on their static C4, uncloaked, for another thirty seconds trying to decide if I should go back and be polarized, or warp to LS.  I decided they just weren't paying attention, warped ACROSS THE WHOLE SYSTEM, and jumped out to LS.

The Cyclone warped off.  The Heron got to the last wreck.  I jumped back into the C2, entered warp, and right as I dropped out and started locking... the Loki popped the heron in two gun cycles. -.-   Ah, well.  Made a couple million off of the pilot's bounty, had some practice stalking, and had fun.

o7

No comments:

Post a Comment