Tuesday, March 18, 2014

My Player Experience Part 2: Actually, I Prefer 'Puckish Rogue'

So far this month, I have destroyed some 13 billionish Isk worth of stuff.  Most of it, though, has been abandoned structures.

One small POS (that was active, that one we did with the defender in system at their other POS), plus fifty seven POS modules from large towers scattered about throughout w-space.

The newer players in the corp treat it like business as usual.  Six abandoned POS' in the last three weeks.  Plus the one that failed the stront check.  The veterans of the corp think it's pretty unusual... were the missing corps all null sec alts, heading back now that the war is more or less over?  Have people just been really awful at keeping their junk fueled?  Or are we basking in the favor of Bob, being showered with all of the loots?

It did give me a slight pause, as I mulled things over at the end of the latest night of raiding.  IRL I am very touchy about messing with people's stuff.  I thought, for a moment, about logging in to find my POS "appropriated" and what I would feel.  It was, however, a fleeting moment: there are rules in w-space.  Don't jump something into a wormhole if you don't want to lose it.  If you find something abandoned and undefended, it's yours.  That's how it works out here.

The other day I was chilling out in a system in low sec, watching the hole into our C5 while some people ran to grab gear.  I saw a tengu land on our wormhole and jump in.  My first reaction was to pounce; to dive in after it and immediately give chase.  Most of the corp was out, though, and although I could hold it for a while I didn't think I could break the tank alone.

So, I opened up a convo and started chatting the pilot up, asking if she was a wormholer and how she liked it.  I am, after all, running for CSM.  She jumped back out shortly after, apologizing for having the wrong wormhole - her corp was in a C2, and her CEO had just told her to GTFO from our C5.  Scary wormhole PvPers lived in C5's.  We blew people up.

I was a little skeptical - after all, she was in a tengu.  On the other hand... we did live in a C5.  We were wormhole pvpers.  Even discounting the numerous pos modules I have liberated this month, my killboard is green, with HACs and a HIC and a tengu.  And pods.  We do blow people up, whenever we can catch them, and even when we can't we often still ask for a fight.

A little less than five months ago, I was logging into Eve for the first time, unsure what exactly to expect... and now I am a stalker, a hunter.  A killer.  Firing my guns at people is fun.  Blowing their ships up is an addictive rush, and there have been times when I've jumped on things I shouldn't, when I tried to go in without proper scouting and intel, out of an eagerness for the brawl.

I certainly might be ruining people's days... but that is not what I am in it for.  The vast majority of the other pilots I have ran into in Eve have been decent enough, taking every advantage they can over other pilots in game but respecting other players as players, and keeping in mind that we're all just out to have some fun.  There have been nights where I have cloaked along behind targets running sites so our gank fleet could get the jump, and there have been nights when I've hung out in the help channels, answering questions.  When I find I've taken out a genuine newbie, I try to offer help so they can at least learn from the experience and come back a little better off next time.  We even had one guy that we scammed, and ganked, and when we ran into him in another hole further down the road we opened up a convo and ended up recruiting him into our corp.

Wormholes are a place for scary, vicious killers, yes.  But they are also a place for people who can pick themselves back up after they get knocked down, who can brush of the setbacks and learn and then go back to having a fun time.  In the end, all any of us are after is some fun and a good time.  My good time might look like chaos and destruction... it might involve a "and don't do that again" lesson, or it might just be for the sake of making things explode, but it's all in the name of fun.  Sometimes I have fun and my target doesn't, sometimes I get jumped and someone else is having their fun at my expense.  Just don't take it personally - that's how the game works.

That is the key information that the tutorial is missing, to wrap this rambling post up.  Any time you are in space, you are fair game.  Any time there are other players in the same system as you, they might swing by and include you in their fun.  If it doesn't go your way, though, don't take it personally - pick up what you can and get back to finding your own fun.  If people weren't expecting to be perfectly safe in high sec, if they weren't expecting every player to treat them 'like a bro', the inevitable losses will be much less jarring and less likely to drive them off.

o7

No comments:

Post a Comment